“Nobody said it was easy.
It’s such a shame for us to part.
Nobody said it was easy.
No one ever said it would be this hard.
Oh, take me back to the start.”
- Coldplay, The Scientist
I try to limit my enjoyment of Coldplay in general. But they got it right in this song. They plastered truth over every square inch of it.
Which is what makes this song so captivating. The lure and mystique of starting over, of forgetting our mistakes and our troublesome situations, of removing worry by removing experience, instead of attempting to absorb some sort of lesson from our mistakes, is powerful. After all, maybe we lose too much of our selves in the learning of these lessons. Maybe being ignorant, innocent and unsullied is better then being wise and damaged. Maybe the supposed lessons we learn are useless rationalizations to prove to ourselves that we are better people now, better for surviving whatever we just survived.
Or maybe we are better off learning the lessons and facing the adversity of life, I honestly don’t know. But even if that were true, even if everything I’d written above was wrong, wouldn’t it still be tempting to just start things over? Would you rather face a gut-wrenching loss and survive it, a little tougher and a little more cynical, or erase it completely, lesson unlearned and psyche unharmed? Is it better to have loved and lost? Or to have loved…and rewound?
Or to put it another way: do you think you are a better person today than you were when you were four years old? Do you think you are a happier person?
Nobody said it was easy. No one ever said it would be this hard.
4 comments:
Better? I have no idea.
Happier? No.
I'd say I'm a worse person and less happy.
i have been noticing that less and less things bother me as I spend more time on this earth, because I've made enough mistakes and I can forgive others when they make the same mistake. and for this reason, i have no desire to start over. not to mention, i probably wouldn't be able to meet any of you if i did.
Hmmm, making mistakes has made me more likely to forgive, but I am still quick to judge even when I don't notice it. When I was a young kid, when I read or heard something idealistic and noble, I believed it wholeheartedly and was inspired to do the same. I think kids can be very open to making sacrifices.
Post a Comment