No it didn't, it started with a near-miss.
Teeth clacked and brains wracked and all that goes along with it.
I like to say it started with a kiss.
But it didn't, no it started with a teeth kiss,
A jarredness,
A silliness,
A grin and then a collapse into each other's grasp
Because you see we were drunk,
But I hate to put it that way, yuck.
It was the love of a lifetime but it started with a clunk.
I'd like to say we looked into each other's eyes and all that junk
But we didn't because we were drunk and our heads hurt.
We didn't see each other that well; I'd spilled on my shirt.
We saw straight into each other's souls, past the dirt
Or would have if we'd been in the shape to. Like I said our heads hurt.
Later on we lived together.
It was nice when I wasn't picking up cat hair
From your damn pets. They'd sit in my favorite chair
And stare and I wished they'd go anywhere...else.
When they died I held you closely.
You took DayQuil and sagged comatosely
Instead of listening to the speech I morosely
Composed in honor of you (not Them, are you joking me??).
That all seemed silly when we had a child.
He was loud and brave and quite a bit wild.
Hard to believe he came from acts of love (we smiled)
Which, to be honest, at this point were pretty mild.
When our looks, average at best, depreciated
And we both really, really hated
To look in mirrors, we debated,
Then held hands and smashed them till we were sated.
A lawyer told us to make a will
So we sat down and thought real still.
Did we have anything worth a shekel?
We did decide on gravestones; it was a thrill
To see it on paper like so:
Bill and Edna Schroeder-Threadnow
Married [blankety-blank] years ago
Will lay forevermore together in this row.
Now forty years have passed and I swear
I wish I remembered something more romantic to share.
We're not dead yet and life's not a nightmare...
Oh well, here's to you, dear.
3 comments:
How's that for sexy?
Well, it's not sexy, but it is really damn good! It's got a great rhythm, and some really clever internal rhyming.
i love it. so good!
Post a Comment