Friday, December 21, 2007

Levain Bakery, by Rieko

Wednesday December 19, 2007
2:30pm
Upper West Side, New York, NY

Was strolling down Amsterdam Avenue when I was suddenly captivated by the unmistakable smell of cookies baking. Followed my nose into a tiny, tiny bakery in the basement of a brownstone. On the window was a Zagat Survey sign that read "...best cookies in NYC..." BINGO.

Baker "Can I help you?"

Me "Yes, (hmmm... they only seem to have scones displayed, where are my cookies?) do you sell cookies by the box??"

Baker "We sell them individually but we can pack them in a box for you, if you like."

Me "Okay, (I still don't see the cookies...) um, what kind of cookies do you have?"

Baker "These are our four varieties." (points to the huge "scones" that I had been staring at)

Me "(GULP) Oh, wow... give me 20... I mean, 5 of the chocolate chip walnut please."

And so it was, that my quest for the world's best chocolate chip cookie was suddenly complete. HOLY CRAP WERE THEY GOOD. Fresh baked, still warm, with melting chocolate and crunchy walnuts, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside,... it perfectly embodied everything I love about cookies. That afternoon I fed these half-a-pound-each monsters to my husband as well as my co-workers and rendered all of them speechless. Thank you Levain Bakery. Yummy cookies make my world go 'round.

No comments: