Friday, November 30, 2007

Three White Pills, by Jeff

I decided to write what I suppose you'd call a "response song." It's a simple, short tune from the point of view of the nurse. I took the vocal melody and re-set it into a very easy piano accompaniment.

To listen click here: Three White Pills

Below are my lyrics.

"Three White Pills"

Say goodbye to all the faces in your life,
Your eyes have already seen the best they had to offer,
And say goodbye to all the ways you loved to hide,
The tasseled patterns unravel faster than you care to notice.

I'm leading him to his door to let him in,
He hops over every crack, just to be safe,
And then he says to me, "I can see it in your eyes,"
I give him three white pills like every other night.

Say goodbye to the music in your head,
The songs you sang along to vanish without ever being,
And say hello to whomever you shall meet,
Their ways will no doubt be as foreign as yours were to me.

I'm leading him to his door to let him in,
He hops over every crack, just to be safe,
And then he says to me, "I can see it in your eyes,"
I give him three white pills like every other night.

5 comments:

Kristy Powers said...

I love your recording. So beautiful and slow. From your song, I get the sense that she is mourning something deeply. Or maybe she's very tired and a little sad.

Jeff said...

In my head, I imagined him actually dying from his condition, but still unaware or unwilling to face that fact, hence her sadness. But I didn't want to put that in the lyrics explicitly. Better to let everyone imagine their own scenario.

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rieko said...

HOLY CRAP. I like this song even better than the original. There's something very transcendent about it. I love how you sing "like every other night." xox

Johanna said...

That's very beautiful and awesome how ambiguous it is like the original song. I find music so amazing because I can't make it, it's like magic to me.